to Green Home Building
Since Sir Walter Lindal founded our company nearly 70 years ago, the efficient use of materials and energy and innovative use of engineered building products has been our tradition.
Long before “green” became fashionable, Lindal was creating homes with sustainability and the environment in mind. We believe that green is more than skin deep. Whether you begin with a time tested Lindal design or work with us to create a one-of-a kind home your Lindal home will be deeply rooted in nature.
On January 29, 2009 the National Association of Home Builders Green Building Standards were approved by ANSI as the national standard for green home building. Lindal Cedar Homes is proud to be the first systems builder approved by the NAHB in the program and we are demonstrating our collaboration by building green homes coast to coast across North America.
Read a Seattle Times article about the first home in Washington state to be certified under the new National Green Building Standard™ developed by the NAHB: a green Lindal home built in Seattle, Washington! (link opens in a new window)
Use the following 17 points to explore our web site, and learn about Lindal Cedar Homes, our commitment to the environment and building sustainable, green homes.
- More than 70 years experience designing and delivering custom homes for many types of environments.
- Commitment to using a plentiful, renewable resource from younger timber stands
- Resource management, replacing trees used in our homes. For nearly 20 years we have planted over 100,000 trees in the names of our customers in partnership with the American Forests Global ReLeaf program.
- Our manufacturing process optimizes the use of material in the factory and greatly reduces on-site waste.
- A history of innovation in material planning, the recipient of 18 building technology patents, and an ongoing research and development process.
LINDAL PLANNING AND DESIGN
- Start with creating an environmentally intelligent site plan that considers; the lay of the land, existing vegetation, and microclimate including the sun and wind.
- Solar gain, controlled by overhangs or natural vegetation reduces energy consumption and creates happy sunbathed homes.
- Natural ventilation maintains air quality and reduces cooling costs.
- Understanding what it takes to design and build energy efficient homes.
- Planning expertise provided by Lindal professionals and local independent Lindal dealers, who are familiar with local regulations. Many are NAHB Certified Green Professionals, thoroughly trained in the NAHB's green home building standards.
FABRICATION AND CONSTRUCTION
- The Lindal building system is a continually refined assembly of components that are designed to be used together, enhancing structural integrity and reducing infiltration.
- Engineered building products are stronger and consume less material.
- Lindal Green package specifications that include advanced framing, Energy Star™ rated cedar-framed windows with energy efficient glazing, and other resource efficient upgrades. Well-considered options enable you to tailor the components to the climatic conditions of the site and to your own desire to build green.
- Prestained siding and other components use low-VOC stains, if desired
- Preassembled interior and exterior rails reduce waste and on-site labor
- Help with planning for energy efficient products, both in your Lindal package, and beyond the building phase
- Your Lindal building package can be delivered in one load saving time, money and gas vs. the many necessary trips to the local lumber yard when not building a Lindal home